Her mother taught her how to sew at a young age and by the time she was in high school, she was making her own clothes. She was began making greeting cards for her friends, and eventually for a sweet boyfriend who later became her husband.
On the advice of her high school counselor Sandy didn’t pursue a career in art – apparently an “A” in high school art class doesn’t make you an artist. Fortunately Sandy set out to prove that counselor wrong – or right… – by starting a greeting card company – My Dream Designs. That was 1988. In 1992 she combined her art and sewing skills and the pattern company “Pieces From My Heart” was born.
She attended her first International Quilt Market in St. Louis, Missouri the spring of 1994. That’s where she was discovered by a relatively new fabric company, Moda Fabrics. Many many fabric collections later, Sandy is still thrilled to be creating original artwork for the fabric she designs for Moda. It allows her to work with different color palettes and experiment – like artists do. It’s still her favorite part of designing.
Sandy resides in Algona, Iowa with Bruce, the boyfriend she wooed with her greeting cards. They have two grown children, Anthony and Abby.
Pieces From My Heart books and patterns are available through United Notions/Moda Fabrics.
- Oh Happy DayToday is my day to be featured on the Riley Blake Designs Virtual Market Facebook page.Here is the link to the page group -you must join the group to be able to participate.A video featuring my Oh Happy Day line of fabric will air at 5:45 p.m. MST on the… Read more »
- Virtual Quilt Market Spring 2020Hello,Over an intercom, you hear: International Quilt Market is now open. Well, that is what you would hear if we were actually at quilt market.Many things are different in our world today and that includes a new way of having a market without actually having a market - virtual quilt… Read more »
- Winners of Martingale's Moda All Stars - All in a Row AgainAnd the winners are:Esther Grimes is the winner of a Homey PDF pattern.Diane Beavers is the winner of a Well Said Jelly RollBabyburrito is the winner of the E-Book.Will all of the winners please message me with your info,Congratulations to all of the winners! Read more »
- Moda All-Stars: All in a Row AgainHello All,Well Martingale and Moda have teamed up again on another Moda All-Stars: All in a Row Again book. The sequel features 23 all-new row designs, 10 blender rows, plus a Q & A with each designer!This book is divided into different sections.I had the houses section. I love anything… Read more »
- It's a Beauty of a Pageant Contest (starts today)It’s a Beauty of a Pageant Contest and it starts today!The designers-contestants are now done blogging and you have seen all of their rows and their version of their partner's row. Now it is time for you to do your version of row/rows.Here’s what you need to know and do.Buy, beg or… Read more »
- Hello and welcome to Day 11. (The last day of the hop.) It’s a Beauty of a Book and Social Media Hop: Moda All-Stars All in a Row There will be Prizes too!All royalties from this book will be donated to No Kid Hungry. A charitable organization dedicated to ending childhood hunger.Today's bloggers are Kaari… Read more »
- Moda All-Stars All in a Row Day 10 - Myself and Kate SpainHello and welcome to Day 10 and my day - and Kate Spain's day! It’s a Beauty of a Book and Social Media Hop: Moda All-Stars All in a Row There will be Prizes too!All royalties from this book will be donated to No Kid Hungry. A charitable organization dedicated to ending childhood hunger.Today's bloggers… Read more »