Known world-wide for her primitive style of quilting, Lisa Bongean calls Menasha, Wisconsin home. This is where it all begins for Primitive Gatherings – for Lisa, her family and staff and for her customers. It is where Lisa designs most of the primitive and folk art style quilts, wool applique and stitching, and where the hand-dyed wools, homespun and reproduction fabrics originate.
Lisa’s talents are many. She is a proud mother of 3 sons – Lance, Luke and Jake; a designer, an acclaimed teacher, an award-winning quilter, a shop owner, and a business woman partnering with her husband, Nick.
They opened Primitive Gatherings in 2004 and it has continued to grow to include a thriving online shop, a wholesale business, a quilting retreat house located less than a mile from the shop and in 2015, they opened Primitive Gatherings West in Murrieta, California. They also take the “Primitive Gatherings” retail experience to quilt shows around the country.
Primitive Gatherings was selected by the Editors of American Patchwork & Quilting Magazine as one of the Ten Best quilt shops in North America for the 13th Annual Quilt Sampler – the Spring/Summer 2006 edition
Lisa is honored to be working with Moda Fabrics – designing fabrics for her primitive and folk art style. She embraces the opportunity to reach out to quilters and work with Moda to support independent quilt shops like her own.
- Moda Block Heads 3 Finish!Thank you all for visiting today….Today I am revealing my Moda Block Heads 3 Quilt! The patterns and the layout are located at the end of this post… Please sign up for my blog subscription because…THIS is how you will get the FREE pattens for our American Gatherings… Read more »
- Let it Snow! Farmhouse Friends Mystery -FREE PatternsHey Everyone I am Lisa Bongean from Primtiive Gatherings…I am so glad you are here. Today is my day to post my block…I love how this stitch-along is coming along!! My block is block 5…It is 121/2″x 12 1/2″ and features Moda grunge background and our wintery-looking wools from Primitive… Read more »
- Two Quilting Retreats- Can you come to one? Join the fun!It’s time to go on with our retreats! We have two special retreats with my Moda sisters! (who I miss very much) Now the one in Kansas has very limited space….and the other in WI has more but still over half full. Please read all of Lynne’s details below…get your… Read more »
- American Gatherings Book Video…Want to see ALL the projects in American Gatherings? Join me as I go through each and everyone one…some are made from jelly rolls, honeybuns, charm squares. It’s so beautiful to see all the quilt in one spot! Click the icon to watch!!! Go to http://www.primtivegatherings.us to get yourself some… Read more »
- Sheep Drum Pincushion TutorialHey!!! We have something fun for you all today!!! My stitching friend, Kathy Decker will be joining me LIVE today on YouTube AT 1PM CST! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-cq4Hks2qq8Wk8ckuyFxRA This is where Kathy will be showing us all how to make this awesome Sheep Drum Pincushion!!!! Now we have a bunch of the… Read more »
- Happy Valentine’s Day….My hope for you this Valentine’s Day… is LOVE…whatever form that it may come in… I like to celebrate LOVE all month…not just one day…with my fisherman, with my grandbabies, with my staff…my girlfriends….my sewing group, on and on. As promised on my LIVE yesterday… I have written that… Read more »
- Moda Block Heads 3 Quilt Along- Block 55 & 56Block 55 -Wine Not?-is from Moda fabric designer Jen Kingwell. This is a fun block but I messed it up and cut my last squares the wrong size!! Oh well, it’s a variation! I wish I could say I had too much wine! Pattern Link for Block 55 Then…… Read more »
- Moda Block Heads 3 Quilt Along- Block 54Block 54 -Windmills-is from Moda fabric designer Janet Clare. I love looking at the blocks and wondering why the designer gave each one its name, this one is pretty obvious. I pieced this block a little different than the pattern and in doing so I did not get the triangles… Read more »