It was inevitable that I should become a quilter. Addictions of this magnitude tend to be familial, and boy have I been predisposed. I’ve got my mother to blame–she shared her sewing and design knowledge with me since I was a little girl. Thanks to her, I became a full-blown quilt addict by the time I was sixteen years old. Of all my mother’s talents, however, I was most impressed by her ability to incorporate a sense of magic into all aspects of life.
Now that I am grown, I find myself revisiting my childhood quite often as a source of inspiration. Back in 2010, I quit my job to stay at home with a new baby. After a few months of adjusting to my new role as mother, I became reacquainted with my sewing machine and decided to start a blog and pattern company called Lella Boutique. When I tried to come up with a business name, I kept thinking about a sweet pink toddler dress that my mom made for me to twirl around in. I called it my “Lella” dress–“Lella” being my way of saying “Cinderella” at that age. I could think of no sweeter emblem than that beloved dress to remind me to incorporate all of those wonderful childhood elements into my creative process.
- Block 51: Spark PlugHey everybody! Welcome back! It's my turn to share my final block for Moda Blockheads 3. It also happens to be the last one of 2020. Just a handful of blocks left--can you believe we're in the homestretch? Here's Spark Plug. Download Block #51: Spark Plug here.I made mine using a… Read more »
- Sewcialites Block 4: SpiritedHey there! It's my turn to share a block for the Fat Quarter Shop Sewcialites Quilt Along 2020. If you're new to the sew along, you can find all of the information for this free block-of-the-week program here. My block is no. 4 "Spirited."The thing I love about the Spirited… Read more »
- Smoke & Rust//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.jsThere is something sacred about being in the mountains. Walk along the misty trail and fall in love with colors intensified by an overcast sky. In my desert home, much of the earth is framed with rust colored mountains and majestic stone cliffs. Some have been brushed with strokes of… Read more »
- Block 37: Fixer UpperI live in a fixer upper. I will never forget that first month and all the sweat it took to rip out carpet, linoelum, baseboards, old wallpaper, etc. Of course, all the work was worth it, and I ended up with a beautiful, blank canvas. Over the last couple years, I’ve… Read more »
- Square Dance//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js September 19th is National Sew a Jelly Roll Day. You know I can get behind a celebration of Jelly Rolls. Who can resist those scrumptious 2 1/2" strips rolled up in a concentric, cinnamon roll style? I've decided to make Square Dance the $5 pattern of the month for the… Read more »
- Starstruck in JuneThere's a new $5 pattern-of-the-month in town and it's got me starry eyed.//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js With 4th of July coming up, it was obvious that this one should be the new $5 pattern for June. It's called Starstruck 2 and I want to drop everything I'm working on and start sewing one up… Read more »