Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- Happy Wednesday! Today is my day for Week 31 Moda BlockHeads3Happy Wednesday! Today is my day for Week 31 Moda BlockHeads3Basket CollectorI am a collector of baskets, like so many of my collections, I inherited Mother's collection too. I love everything about them, especially the handmade. They are practical, useful and works of art...just like our quilts! I've compiled photos… Read more »
- Week 30 Moda BlockHeads3 Ring Around by Corey YoderHappy Wednesday everyone!Week 29 Ring Around is by Corey Yoder.I made this sweet block in 2 sizes, 4" and 8" and because I am easily bored and have to add new fabrics, I pulled some scraps from making Market quilts for Elinore's Endeavor.Elinor will be available in shops in November.In… Read more »
- Week 28 Moda BlockHeads Broken Dishes by Fig TreeHappy Wednesday! This Moda BlockHeads3 Week 28. Is this the halfway point?? Yes, it is. Today's block is Broken Dishes by Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree Designs. This is one of my most favorite blocks. I think you will enjoy it.I've got a few stories to tell. Words. Images. Memories.… Read more »
- Happy Moda BlockHeads Wednesday Week 27 Proposal by Jen KingwellHi Everyone, Happy Moda BlockHeads Wednesday! This is Jen Kingwell's week with block 27, Proposal. Shhh. Today is Jen's Anniversary. Happy Anniversary Jen!!! I thought June was the wedding month, but I certainly know a lot of people who got hitched, like me, in July. I married July 10th, 1976. … Read more »
- Happy BlockHeads3 Wednesday Week 26 Zig Zags by Janet Clare and Winners!!Happy Wednesday! Not only do we have the cute block, number 26 by Janet Clare but I am finally announcing the winners on last week's giveaways.One would think that all this staying at home would leave me with some free time...ha ha. Isn't there always something that needs tending to, I… Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads week 25, catching up, and a giveawayWell, Happy Moda BlockHeads Wednesday! My apologies for not posting for several weeks. Now it's time to catch up. If you follow me on Instagram, you know I've continued to post blocks there, and on the Facebook group. Like all of you, I'm saddened by issues in the news, stressed… Read more »
- Happy BlockHeads Wednesday. Week 21, XOXO by Lissa AlexanderHappy Block Heads Wednesday. Welcome to week 21, XOXO by Lissa Alexander, aka ModaLissa. As you can imagine, XOXO is a really cute block for hugs and kisses. Couldn't we all use some hugs and kisses from our kiddos?Seems like all I do is take photos and sew these days. … Read more »
- Week 19 and 18 Moda BlockHeadsHappy Wednesday!Between an old out of date computer, blogspot changes, and secret sewing for a virtual Quilt Market, I have fallen behind on my blogging. I need a new computer. How does one shop for a computer during a pandemic?? I am not a techy person, so not sure what… Read more »
- Happy Moda BlockHeads day! It's my day Crossroads by Betsy ChutchianCrossroads, my block for Week 17 of Moda's Blockheads 3, unintentionally seems to fit where we are. So, where are we? Yes, it is Wednesday, but I compose the post on Tuesday. A friendly, innocent question on Monday reminded me that this week was MY week. I knew that...last week. But,… Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads Block 16 by Sherri McConnell, DreamHappy Moda BlockHeads Wednesday. Yes it is Wednesday, right?? All the days are running together, one is the same as the next. So, hope you have had a good week. Busy here, secret sewing occupies most of my days. Isn't it a nice diversion to stop and make just ONE… Read more »