Betsy Chutchian developed a passionate interest in fabric, quilts, sewing and history as a child.
After graduation from the University of Texas at Arlington in 1980, Betsy received an antique quilt top made by her paternal great-grandmother and great-aunt. It was then that she taught herself to quilt.
Betsy began teaching in 1990 and she shares her passion for quiltmaking and reproducing 19th Century quilts through teaching, presentations and bed-turnings. She is the author of several books – her latest being Classic and Heirloom Quilts published by It’s Sew Emma, and the coming-very-soon Treasury of Quilts from Martingale. Her previous books include: Gone to Texas, Quilts from a Pioneer Woman’s Journal, Lizzie’s Legacy and Just Treats, No Tricks with Kansas City Star. She also co-authored History Repeated, Block Exchange Quilts by the 19th Century Patchwork Divas. Betsy is also the co-founder of the 19th Century Patchwork Divas, a block exchange group dedicated 1800’s reproduction fabric.
Betsy’s passion for fabric, fabric study, and antique quilts has led her to design fabric with Moda – which isn’t far from Grand Prairie, Texas, where she lives with her husband Steve and a couple of cats.
- Moda Blockheads week 46, Roses by Jan PatekHappy Moda Blockheads Wednesday!Today is Jan Patek’s day for Roses, block 46I LOVE this block! I’m thinking a whole quilt of these would make a fine Christmas quilt, don’t you?Because some of you have eagle eyes, the shapes are perfectly in place for the photo, not stitched down. I think… Read more »
- Moda Blockheads3 It’s my week for Block 45 SongbirdHappy Wednesday! It’s my week for block 45, Songbird.As I mentioned last week, we are in the final round of blocks, so this is the last one you will have from me. This is my 3rd time to participate in Blockheads and I love it. I sincerely hope you have… Read more »
- Moda Blockheads3 Week 44 by Sherri McConnellCommunity. I really like the name for this week. We are a community. Sorry I’ve been absent for a while. Lots going on as usual, plus a lot of trouble with my email program, iPhone an desktop. Yes, I need a new phone and desktop. I’m typing on the iPad which I’ve… Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads 3 block 38 from Stacy Iest HsuHappy WednesdayHere we are in Week 38 with a Fractured Rainbow for Moda BlockHeads3. Stacy has created a lovely block for us this week, very colorful and really scrappy...I love it.You'll see from my photos how the block should be assembled as Stacy created, and then what I ultimately sewed… Read more »
- Happy Wednesday! Today is my day for Week 31 Moda BlockHeads3Happy Wednesday! Today is my day for Week 31 Moda BlockHeads3Basket CollectorI am a collector of baskets, like so many of my collections, I inherited Mother's collection too. I love everything about them, especially the handmade. They are practical, useful and works of art...just like our quilts! I've compiled photos… Read more »
- Week 30 Moda BlockHeads3 Ring Around by Corey YoderHappy Wednesday everyone!Week 29 Ring Around is by Corey Yoder.I made this sweet block in 2 sizes, 4" and 8" and because I am easily bored and have to add new fabrics, I pulled some scraps from making Market quilts for Elinore's Endeavor.Elinor will be available in shops in November.In… Read more »
- Week 28 Moda BlockHeads Broken Dishes by Fig TreeHappy Wednesday! This Moda BlockHeads3 Week 28. Is this the halfway point?? Yes, it is. Today's block is Broken Dishes by Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree Designs. This is one of my most favorite blocks. I think you will enjoy it.I've got a few stories to tell. Words. Images. Memories.… Read more »
- Happy Moda BlockHeads Wednesday Week 27 Proposal by Jen KingwellHi Everyone, Happy Moda BlockHeads Wednesday! This is Jen Kingwell's week with block 27, Proposal. Shhh. Today is Jen's Anniversary. Happy Anniversary Jen!!! I thought June was the wedding month, but I certainly know a lot of people who got hitched, like me, in July. I married July 10th, 1976. … Read more »
- Happy BlockHeads3 Wednesday Week 26 Zig Zags by Janet Clare and Winners!!Happy Wednesday! Not only do we have the cute block, number 26 by Janet Clare but I am finally announcing the winners on last week's giveaways.One would think that all this staying at home would leave me with some free time...ha ha. Isn't there always something that needs tending to, I… Read more »
- Moda BlockHeads week 25, catching up, and a giveawayWell, Happy Moda BlockHeads Wednesday! My apologies for not posting for several weeks. Now it's time to catch up. If you follow me on Instagram, you know I've continued to post blocks there, and on the Facebook group. Like all of you, I'm saddened by issues in the news, stressed… Read more »