It’s Monday. There’s a solar eclipse today. Two good reasons for a lovely piece of layer cake!
And this kind of Layer Cake – the Moda kind.
Especially when you have a book like this one – A Piece of Cake by Peta Peace.
Today is our day on the A Piece of Cake blog hop so let me get right to it. (The list of the other participants is at the bottom.)
If you read this blog at all, you know I love Layer Cakes – the fabric kind. They are my favorite pre-cut because the 10″ x 10″ square is big enough that I usually have enough to make a single medium-sized block, or several small blocks. That square is also small enough that I rarely have much left over, meaning that I can play with something totally outside my regular “box” or mix a couple of layer cakes for a really scrappy quilt.
They’re also perfect for making a single quilt – one layer cake, some background yardage and presto! A quilt. When it’s a “sweet and quilt”, that’s even better.
This quilt measures 38″ x 42″ but it’s easily made larger. (This version only uses 23 layer cake squares so you’d already have the fabric for more spools.) The collection used here is Hey Dot by Brigitte Heitland for Zen Chic.
Surprise! That’s the name of this adorable quilt Peta designed and pieced. Picture this with holiday fabrics or a holiday color palette! Surprise measures 56″ x 71″.
This block can also be made as a pillow… which is what I intended to do. My block is pieced, I just need to finish it with the circle – that will be my favorite Royal Blue Chambray.
The blue prints are from Shibori II by Debbie Maddy, the gold prints are from Zen Chic’s Fragile collection and the background is from BasicGrey’s Compositions. (I’ll share the finished pillow as soon as it is quilted and done.)
To see more of the book and projects made from it – finished projects! – here is the list of participants in the A Piece of Cake blog hop. Be sure to see what they’ve made… I already know that Sedef, Jemima, Samantha, Andy, Kirsty, Lisa and Alison have all finished their projects. (Square Peg In a Round Hole is a popular block and quilt.)
- 8.15 ~ Sedef – Down Grapevine Lane
- 8.15 ~ Jemima – Tied with a Ribbon
- 8.16 ~ Samantha – Aqua Paisley Studio
- 8.17 ~ Andy – A Bright Corner
- 8.18 ~ Kirsty – Bonjour Quilts
- 8.19 ~ Lisa – A Spoonful of Sugar Designs
- 8.20 ~ Alison – Cotton Factory
- 8.21 ~ The Cutting Table! Here!
- 8.22 ~ Nadra – Ellis and Higgs
- 8.23 ~ Angie – Gnome Angel
- 8.24 ~ Tara – Tara Sews
- 8.25 ~ Jules – The Creative Retreat
- 8.26 ~ Kristyne – Pretty by Hand
- 8.27 ~ Kimberly – Fat Quarter Shop
- 8.28 ~ Lissa – Moda Lissa
- 8.29 ~ Amy – Diary of a Quilter
- 8.30 ~ Kerry – Kid Giddy & Cat – Hello from Cat on Instagram
- 8.31 ~ Jane – Modern Makers Retreat
- 9.1 ~ Kate – Never Enough Hours
- 9.2 ~ Jodie – Vintage Ric Rac
- 9.3 ~ Sharon – Patches Indooroopilly (in store & online!)
- 9.4 ~ Amanda – Material Girl Quilts
- 9.5 ~ Amber – A Little Bit Biased
- 9.6 ~ Xanthe – Wife Made
- 9.7 ~ Rachel – Family Ever After
- 9.8 ~ Jenny – Martingale
- 9.9 ~ Amy – Nana Company
- 9.10 ~ Peta – She Quilts A Lot
One last thing… because this is a very special Monday, we’re going to share A Piece of Cake and a Layer Cake.
Just leave a comment by Midnight on Wednesday, August 23, CST telling me if you use Layer Cakes, how many un-opened Layer Cakes you have in your stash, and the name of the last layer cake you bought.
(Winners will be notified via e-mail.)
Happy Monday! Enjoy the eclipse!